Quarry on the River
Sugars’ basalt (“blue metal”) quarry is now part of the Anstead Bushland Reserve, on the Brisbane River.
In 1874, Thomas Sugars began quarrying the significant lode of basalt found here. Most of the stone was crushed on site, then barged downriver with the tides, to be used for roadmaking and concrete manufacture.
The Brisbane Courier of 15 June 1895 reported:
After 1915, the quarry operated under a number of owners until it was acquired by Brisbane City Council in 1950. Council continued to operate here until 1963, when it closed the quarry.
In 1995 the site was reserved as a park, named in 2003 “Anstead Bushland Reserve”.
Where is Sugars Quarry located?
Sugars Quarry is located in the Anstead Bush Reserve which is approximately 20kms south-west of the Brisbane CBD
Address: enter off Hawksbury Road (Mt Crosby Road end)
Grid reference: 27032’45.15” S; 152051’16.54”